Saturday, October 13, 2012

October 13th 2012: Biking in Boston

This morning, I had made plans to go cycling on the Emerald Necklace in Boston and Brookline, so I headed toward Franklin Park, which is the rough starting point in the necklace area, early in the morning. I passed by several places along the way there.
The Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Admissions Building, Roxbury Community College
Media Art Center
Regis Lewis Track and Athletic Center

Islamic Center of Boston Cultural Center
Finally reaching Franklin Park, I decided to park along the Seaver Street side of the park and unloaded my bike.

With my bike, the path I took in Franklin Park to visit the Schoolmaster Hill, passing by the rear gate of the Franklin Park Zoo along the way, is shown below in pink.
At the top of Schoolmaster Hill, where there were some ruins, there were fantastic views of the William J Devine Golf Course below.

The ruins on Schoolmaster Hill




William J Devine Golf Course
Heading back down the hill, I went to see the 99 steps, which were just steps in the hill there, but could not find the Ellicott Arch due to a lack of time. Proceeding on, I headed out of the park into the Arborway to head toward the Forest Hills T-Station, passing by the West Roxbury Courthouse along the way.
Covenant Congregational Church
West Roxbury Courthouse

St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Forest Hills T-Station
From the station I decided to head northeastwards to explore the entire Southwest Corridor Park, which follows the Orange Line closely.

It was a nice morning ride, with a few stops here and there to take pictures of interesting buildings close to the trail, all the way to the Back Bay T-Station, where the bike path ends.
Hope Central Church
Boston Police Headquarters
St. John's Episcopal Church



St. Andrew's United Methodist Church
Old Jamaica Plain High School,
2 Elm Street



Monument near Boston Police Headquarters
on Southwest Corridor Park
Spanish Seventh Day Adventist Church

Ruggles T-Station
Police Memorial outside Police Headquarters


Columbus Avenue AME Zion Church
Union United Methodist Church

Near the end of the
Southwest Corridor Park
Back Bay T-Station
131 Dartmouth Street


Horse Monuments
outside Copley Place
It was at this point that my friend called me to tell me that her bike tires were flat, and that she would not be able to come biking with me. Thinking I could save the situation by getting back to my car and driving to her place with a pump, I decided to head back to the Back Bay T-Station, and took it all the way back to Forest Hills, along with my bike. I have to say, it was a little difficult to bring my bike through the turnstiles at the station, and holding it inside the train itself all the way was a little cumbersome as well.

After getting off at Forest Hills, I cycled all the way back to my car, packed my bike in, then started heading off when my other friend called to tell me that he would not be coming as well because of the cold weather. As a result, I was alone on my bike ride as it stood now. At this point, I decided to give up on the original plan.

Today, there was a Boston vs. NYC Food Truck Throwdown event going on at Dewey Square, so I decided to head there instead.

After finding parking on Dorchester Avenue alongside the Fort Point Channel, where there was interesting art on the water as well, I headed toward Dewey Square where all the action was.

100 High Street

Bobbing Water Art
on Fort Point Channel
United Shoe Machinery Corporation Building


Art at the Federal Reserve Bank



There were already a ton of people lining up at the 10 Boston and NYC trucks parked at Dewey Square.
The Food Truck Throwdown at Dewey Square
Given that I had limited time and money to spend here, I decided to concentrate on the Boston trucks, namely Staff Meal, the Cookie Monstah and Lobsta Love, with me already having tried Mei Mei Street Kitchen and Roxy's Grilled Cheese before. All the trucks had long lines before them, so I hhad to wait awhile to get my food.
Staff Meal
The Cookie Monstah



From Staff Meal, I got their special, the Peking Pig's Head Taco, which had Black Bean Mayo, Lap Cheong Fried Rice and Fried Garlic, which was excellent despite the weird name
Pig's Head Taco
From the Cookie Monstah, I got one of each of the cookies they had on sale. I loved the Red Velvet Cookie the best, although the rest of the cookies were a little too sweet for my liking.
My Bag of Cookies
Sugared Sugar
Red Velvet


Oatmeal Cinnamon Raisin
Chocolate Chunk




Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
Finally, from Lobsta Love, I got the Lobster Mac and Cheese. To be honest, while the Lobster itself was fresh, and the Mac and Cheese tasty, I was actually very disappointed that the lobster was pretty much from a cold lobster salad, placed on top of warm Mac and Cheese, and not cooked together like it should be.
After enjoying my food, I decided to head back to my car, where I had already spent too many quarters trying not to get a ticket, so I decided it was time to head out from there.

After pondering a little, I decided that since I already brought my bike all the way out here, I decided that I might as well explore the Emerald Necklace anyway. With that, I headed all the way back to my old parking spot at Franklin Park, which was still there. From here, I decided to explore more of Franklin Park, heading to Scarborough Pond and Scarborough Hill by the path shown below.
I passed by the William J Devine Golf Clubhouse along the way.
William J Devine Golf Clubhouse
At Scarborough Pond, there were tons of Canadian geese here, though not as much as the people at Dewey Square.
Scarborough Pond
Bridge over Scarborough Pond





I went to the top of Scarborough Hill, but the views here were not as good as at Schoolmaster Hill. '

Heading down the other way, I decided to go check out another viewpoint of Scarborough Pond, on the west side of the pond.

From here, it was back onto the road to continue my exploration of the Emerald Necklace. The path I took here to Jamaica Pond is shown below in pink.

At the Forest Hills T-Station, I turned northwestwards this time, heading past the Arnold Arboretum along the Arborway, passing the so-called Jamaica Plain Christmas Castle at 61 Arborway, which wasn't decorated this time of year, but still impressive looking.
The Arborway
Jamaica Plain Christmas Castle

At  Jamaica Pond, the views of it here were simply awesome, especially from the boathouse area.

The boathouse area











The viewpoint at Pinebank Promontory was not to be had though.

As indicated on the map, there is the Parkman Memorial at the corner of Francis Parkman Drive and Perkins Street, so I decided to cycle around the pond to check it out.

Heading on to Olmsted Park and beyond, the path I took here is shown below in pink.
On my first pass, I could not get very good views of Leverett Pond as I cycled through Olmsted Park.
Leverett Pond
It was difficult to go across Route 9 traffic while crossing over to the other side of Jamaicaway, bypassing the Jamaicaway Bridge, but somehow I managed.
Jamaicaway Bridge
Heading into the Riverway area, there was an interesting leaf covered structure which turned out to be the 110 Francis Street Parking Garage of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
The Riverway contains the Muddy River, which runs right through the middle of it on the way to the Charles River
The Muddy River
Bellevue Street Bridge



Round House Shelter
Emerging from the Riverway, I headed toward the Fenway portion of the Emerald Necklace, passing by the Landmark Center along the way.

While cycling along Fenway, I passed by Emmanuel College and Simmons College along the way.

Chapel, Emmanuel College
Beatley Library, Simmons College



Continuing along the Back Bay Fens, I passed by the back of the Museum of Fine Arts
Man on a Bar, MFA
Muddy River, Back Bay Fens

The Back Bay Fens itself has a nice War Memorial area with many monuments.
Japanese Temple Bell
WWII Memorial








Korean War Memorial
Vietnamese War Memorial



Moving along, I passed by Westland Avenue, where there's the Westland Gate and Fire Alarm Office.
Fire Alarm Office
Westland Gate

After reaching the end of my journey at the corner of Boylston Street and Charlesgate, it was time to head back the other way on the side of the necklace I had not explored. Here, I first came upon the Kelleher Rose Garden after bypassing the Fenway Victory Gardens which are community gardens. I had to maneuver my bike carefully here in order not to trample on the flowers.
Kelleher Rose Garden













Next, I came upon a soccer game being played at the Roberto Clemente Field.

Nearby is the Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral.

Heading back through Olmsted Park, I took more pictures of Leverett Pond.


As I headed to the Arnold Arboretum after cycling the other way around Jamaica Pond, I passed by the Monastery of St. Clare.




At Arnold Arboretum, I decided to cycle up Peter's Hill. The path I took here is shown below in pink.

I ended up walking my bike up the hill, but the view of the Boston Skyline from here was simply fantastic.


From here, I headed all the way back to my car, going through the Bussey Brook Meadow along the way to the Forest Hills T-Station and all the way back to my car. By the time I got there, the sun had almost set, so it was time to end my day of travelling and head to Tom Yum Koong III in Newton for dinner, where I had a Groupon as always.

This Thai restaurant is pretty small, and pretty crowded when I arrived. I had to sit at the bar for a bit until someone left a table before I could sit down. I decided to order the Tom Yum Koong Maki, which had tempura shrimp, cucumber and tom yum flavor, topped with lime leaves, the Mango Fried Rice, and the Superior Duck, crispy boneless duck served with brown lemon sauce, broccoli, mango and fresh basil.
Tom Yum Koong Maki
Mango Fried Rice



Superior Duck
The sushi roll was interesting with the Tom Yum flavor, while the duck was delicious as expected.

I would recommend this place, although it is pretty small, mainly because of its small amount of creativity, especially in using mango in its dishes.

With that, a fun day of biking in Boston was over, although I wish my friends had come with me too.























No comments:

Post a Comment