Tuesday, October 23, 2012

October 23rd 2012: Going on a Dinner Cruise in the Boston Harbor

Today after work, I had 2 tickets for a dinner cruise on Odyssey Cruises in the Boston Harbor, so I decided to ask my female colleague to go along with me for the experience. She and I had to dress up formally, so we had to leave early for work in order to be on time for the cruise. Thankfully, even with all the traffic, we managed to arrive on time, get the boarding passes, and get onto the ship, which was actually pretty big.
Once inside, it looked pretty much like a fancy restaurant, complete with a small dance floor.

Our dinner table itself was beautifully decorated.
For the purpose of this cruise, we had a free appetizer, main course and dessert. For the first course, I got the Seafood Melange, which consisted of Fresh Atlantic Sea Scallops, Gulf Shrimp, Blue Crab baked with peppers and dijon into a cake, served with a toasted crostini on the side, while my friend got the Caramelized Duck en Croute, consisting of Duck Confit, Forest Mushrooms, Sage and Monterey Jack Cheese baked in a puff pastry, served over Spaghetti Squash with Dried Currants, Cranberries, Candied Pecans, and a drizzle of marsala wine Demi Glaze.

While waiting for our food to come, I decided to walk around for a bit to take pictures of the scenery and the ship, which had four levels. Below us was another dining room which looked much like ours.
Above us were two more levels that were open air. The views of the city from the water were beautiful on this relatively cloudless night which was actually supposed to have a little bit of rain.
Boston from the ship
Rowe's Wharf at night
On the Top Deck

I decided to head down at this point, and our appetizers came soon after.
Caramelized Duck en Croute
Seafood Melange

Although my colleague would not allow me to taste her dish, it looked really good, while my dish was excellent as well.

After ordering our main courses of Maple Glazed Chipotle Chicken, consisting of Pan Roasted smoked chicken breast, served with a vegetable ratatouille and roasted with Yukon Gold Potatoes, Topped with Chipotle Tomato Cream for my friend, while I got the Mushroom Braised Short Ribs, which were marinated in marinated in shallot and Wild mushroom gravy, with Garlic, mashed potatoes and crispy Onion Straws. While waiting for our food to come, we headed out again to catch the views as the ship had departed the dock and was sailing slowly around the Charlestown area at this point.
Downtown Boston at night
The TD Garden and the Leonard P Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge








When we came back down, our food was ready. Again, both dishes looked really good. My ribs were a little on the salty side, but still pretty good.
Maple Glazed Chipotle Chicken
Mushroom Braised Short Ribs


After the course, we headed out again, and this time the ship was on the Seaport side of Boston, where there were planes taking off from the Boston Logan Airport. The gigantic cruise ship Queen Mary 2 was also departing our shores tonight.
Views from the Seaport Side
Queen Mary 2




Heading back down, it was time for dessert. My friend got the Odyssey's Signature Decadent Chocolate Truffle Torte, a rich two-layer moist cake filled with delicate chocolate Mousse Jelly fully enrobed in smooth Dark chocolate Ganache, while I got the Raspberry Mousse Cup, a rich Raspberry Mousse served in Dark Chocolate Cup finished with whipped cream and raspberries.
Odyssey's Signature Decadent Chocolate Truffle  Torte
Raspberry Mousse Cup











I had not expected my dessert to be good as I am not really a fan of bitter dark chocolate, but as it turned out, the raspberry compensated for it, and I enjoyed my dessert thoroughly.

Finally after 3 hours on the sea, with great music and couples dancing to famous old love songs, the cruise came to an end. As an added on surprise, we were allowed to take the centerpieces on our tables home.
Along the way back we had to pass through the Boston Harbor Hotel, which was beautiful on the interior to get to our car.
Inside Boston Harbor Hotel
I have to say, my experience on this dinner cruise tonight was absolutely wonderful. I am definitely going to bring my future girlfriend to do this again in future, if that day ever comes.


No comments:

Post a Comment