Saturday, October 20, 2012

October 20th 2012: Watching the Movie "Tai Chi Zero"

Today, I had a meetup event to go watch the movie Tai Chi Zero in Boston, so I decided to do some sightseeing in the Boston and Brookline area.

I first headed to the Franklin Park area, where I had not been able to find the Ellicott Arch. That was because it was below the road I was on, leading to the golf course below.
The 99 Steps
Ellicott Arch


Next, I headed to Brookline to check out the D. Blakely Hoar Sanctuary. The path I took here after parking in the residential area on Gerry Road is shown below in pink.
This place is pretty much a wetland area, and there was not much to see here, although I did get my boots dirty in the mud after the rains yesterday.

I still had some time before the Larz Anderson Auto Museum opened, so I decided to head back into Boston to take pictures in the Jamaica Plain area.
Jamaica Plain Civil War Memorial, South and Centre Street
First Church Unitarian Universalist Jamaica Plain


St. Thomas Aquinas Church
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital

First Baptist Church Jamaica Plain


The Discarded outside Frist Baptist Church
River of Life Church

Old Blessed Sacrament Church,
361 Centre Street
Finally, it was time to head to the Larz Anderson Auto Museum.
Larz Anderson Auto Museum
Once inside, after paying the $10 admission fee, I started taking pictures of all the old cars here, right till the late 1800s, although there was an F1 Ferrari F2002 racing car as well.
Ferrari F2002
1953 Allard J2X


1954 Jaguar XK120
1959 Rolls Royce Shooting Brake

1950 Jaguar Mark V
Car Badges

Oil Dispensing Cabinet
1946 MG TC (left)



1951 Vincent Black
Shadow (left),
1942 MRG 1100 (right)
1958 MGA Coupe Supercharged (left),
Volkswagen Beetle (right)

1956 MG Arnolt
1950 Rover P4 75 Cyclops


Bowden Spacelander
1920 Panhard et Levassor


Old Bicycles
1901 Winton Bullet Buckeye


1899 Winton Phaeton
1908 Electric Phaeton Victoria


1937 Packard Limousine
To be honest, although it was nice to see all those old cars, unless you are really into cars, the $10 I paid did not feel very well spent.

Heading into Larz Anderson Park right next door, I took some pictures here, especially of the Boston skyline with the fall foliage everywhere around.



From here, I decided it was time to head into Boston, where I parked at the Boston Common Parking Garage before heading to China Pearl in Chinatown, where I was supposed to meet everyone at the meetup event for lunch. As it turned out, instead of being 10 minutes late, I was actually 1 hour early as I had read the time wrongly, somehow. Being extremely hungry, I decided to head out to the Greenway Open Market which occurs every Saturday, on the Rose Kennedy Greenway at Atlantic Avenue and India Street to get some food from the food trucks there.
The Greenway Open Market
Bon Me (left) and
Grilled Cheese Nation (right)


I decided to get the Ham and Brie Crepe (Tarragon infused with Ham and melted Brie Cheese) from the Paris Creperie food truck, and I also got the Classic Grilled Cheese with Bacon from the Grilled Cheese Nation Food Truck
Paris Creperie

The Classic Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Chips
Ham and Brie Creoe

After my food truck meal, it was time to head back to Chinatown.

There were 5 tables in all of people in the restaurant, the interior of which was hauntingly similar to Hei La Moon nearby.

I was pretty full already, so I only ate a little of the dimsum that was laid down before us. Still it was fun to catch up with everyone else and meet new people.

After dimsum, we headed to the Boston Common and Public Garden to take some pictures and walk around for a bit before heading to the AMC Loews Boston Common 19 Theater to get tickets to watch the movie "Tai Chi Zero". To be honest, I won't recommend watch this action-comedy movie. The effects weren't that good, and it was also just part 1 of the entire movie. It was only funny at times, and the action wasn't that great either.

After watching the movie, we headed our separate ways, and I decided to use my Groupon at Ristorante Marcellino, an Italian restaurant in Waltham. My only complaint about this place is the parking, which was almost impossible to make a U-turn to get out of it.

Other than that, the bar-restaurant is pretty nice but typical in decor. For the $40 I had to get, I decided to get the Pasta e Fagioli soup, a traditional southern Italian red bean soup, with pancetta and tiny tubes pasta, which wasn't too bad, and the Costoletta D'Agnello,wood-grilled lamb chops and Calabrese sausage with rosemary and garlic infused extra virgin olive oil, the lamb being really tender, although the saltiness of the sausage became a little too much after a while.
Pasta e Fagioli
Costoletta D'Agnello










Finally, it was dessert time, with me getting the Sorbetto del Limone, lemon sorbet in lemon skin shell, which was excellent as well.

With that, a day of meeting new people and hanging out with old friends came to an end.









































No comments:

Post a Comment