Saturday, October 27, 2012

October 27th 2012: Dog Sledding in Cummington

Today, I had an appointment to go dog sledding in the western Massachusetts town of Cummington.

Before heading there though, I decided to use a Groupon at Sturbridge Coffee House at 453 Main Street in Sturbridge to get some breakfast.
This place is pretty much a typical coffee place, with desserts on display as well. For $12, I decided to get the Chocolate Mint Cupcake, Tiramisu Cupcake, Blueberry Muffintop and Orange Blossom Muffintop.
Chocolate Mint Cupcake
Tiramisu Cupcake


Blueberry and Orange Blossom Muffintop
The mint was too strong for me, while the tiramisu had too much cinnamon. The muffintops were just okay I guess.

Moving on toward Cummington, I passed through several towns along the way. The first town I passed through was Brimfield, with the First Congregational Church on top of a hill.
Next, the town of Palmer with the Bondsville Grammar Park and Depot Street Bridge at the junction of Depot Street and Main Street which I missed out on before.
Bondsville Grammar Park
Depot Street Bridge

In Belchertown, I passed by the Belchertown Firefighters Museum.
In Amherst, I passed by a giant foot at the Amherst Farm Winery and Amherst College.
Giant Foot, Amherst Farm Winery
College Hall, Amherst College
The Octagon
Morgan Hall

Henry Ward Beecher
Johnson Chapel


In Hadley, I passed through the town center.
First Congregational Church of Hadley
Old Saint John's Catholic Church,
49 Middle Street

North Star Self Directed Learning for Teens
Well Device at the Hadley Farm Museum



Next, I passed over the Connecticut River into Northampton on the Calvin Coolidge Memorial Bridge.

I first parked at the Elwell Recreation Area on the Northampton side on the corner of Bridge Street and Damon Street, and went onto the old Connecticut River Railroad Bridge, which has been converted to form part of the Norwottuck Rail Trail. Pictures I took here of the bridge, the Calvin Coolidge Bridge and the Connecticut River follow.

Connecticut Railroad Bridge
Calvin Coolidge Bridge












Connecticut River

Heading back, I went on the Calvin Coolidge Bridge and did the same thing.
On the Calvin Coolidge Bridge
Connecticut Railroad Bridge
Connecticut River



Moving on from here, I headed into the town of Williamsburg.
Our Lady of the Hills Parish,
173 Main Street
Williamsburg Historical Society,
8 Main Street

The Brassworks, 132 Main Street
Mill River

First Congregational Church of Williamsburg
Haydenville Congregational Church



Finally, I arrived in Cummington, passing by the East Branch Westfield River Bridge on Berkshire Trail near Thayer Corner Road
East Branch Westfield River Bridge
East Branch Westfield River

The Cummington Fairgrounds at 97 Fairgrounds Road was where I was supposed to meet the organizer for the dog sledding lesson. When I arrived, I was a little late, but I could see no dogs around. Worried that I was not in the right place, I drove around for a little, and actually found another car that was here for the dog sledding as well.

As it turned out, the organizer was really late, but I'm just glad she came after all as we had no phone reception in this area. Even so, she still had to leave for a bit to make some preparations for the coming Hurricane Sandy, so while we waited, we played with the excited dogs on the truck.








The hills in the distance
When the organiser finally returned, the first order of business was to take the dogs off the truck. To do this, we had to hold them firmly by the collar, lifting them up to "walk" them.

After chaining them to the fence, it was time to decide which dog we were going to ride with.

I decided to go with Raz Taz, just because. Apparently that was a good choice, as he was a big strong dog.

Next, it was time to put the harness on the dog, which was pretty easy as the dogs were pretty cooperative.
The harness
Putting the harness on

After the harness, the cute little booties were to be put on carefully in order not to hurt the dogs' legs.
The booties
Putting on the booties


With that, the dogs were ready to go.
Raz Taz all suited up

Next, it was learning how to ride the "sled" which was more of a custom made bike.
The Sled
Learning the commands to tell the dog to speed up, slow down, stop, turn left or right was easy enough, if I could remember them.


I was the first to go, so I helped to hook up Raz Taz to the bike, and after standing on it, off we went.
It was pretty easy at first, but then the road became pretty bumpy, and there were points where I would have fallen off if I had not told the dog to slow down. Thankfully, he listened, so I did not end up dogless.

Everyone else went in turn, but we could only go once, which was the only disappointing part about this experience.

After rewarding Raz Taz for his hard work with a hot dog and water, which he lapped up happily, it was time to load the dogs back up and say good bye. It was at this point that the organizer also gave us a coupon for a 10% discount at the Old Creamery in town.

Leaving the fairgrounds, I decided to head to the cafe for some cheap lunch before continuing on my sightseeing in the town.

This place is more of a grocery store with a deli cafe on the side. After looking at the menu, I decided to get the Thai Peanut Chilli soup, which comes with a side of cornbread, and a When Pigs Fly panini, consisting of homemade foccacia, turkey, vermont bacon, roasted garlic mayo, avocado, arugula and Havarti.
Thai Peanut Chilli Soup
When Pigs Fly Panini

The panini was especially good, while the soup was okay with a tangy and nutty taste.

After lunch, it was time to do some sightseeing in town.
Village Congregational Church

William Cullen Bryant Homestead
View from the Bryant Homestead


Cummington Town Hall, 33 Main Street
Shire Village Camp

Academy at Swift River
Finally done with Cummington, I headed back toward Amherst, passing through several towns along the way. First was the town center of Goshen.
Goshen Police
Goshen Public Library



Goshen Congregational Church
Next, it was the tractor outside Cichy's Garage in Williamsburg.

Heading into Northampton, I went into the Smith College area, and had to stop to walk around because of the multitude of beautiful buildings there.
Blessed Sacrament Church,
336 Elm Street
St Mary of the Assumption Church,
3 Elm Street


Old First Baptist Church,
West Street and Elm Street
Eva Trager Memorial,
Main Street near Crafts Avenue

Edwards Church
Academy of Music Theatre









City Hall, 210 Main Street
Memorial Hall, 240 Main Street





The First Churches of Northampton
Hampshire Council of Governments


Calvin Coolidge Statue
behind Hampshire Council of Governments
Monument outside the First Churches
St. John's Church Episcopal
St. Valentine's Polish National Catholic Church,
127 King Street




St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish


Stegosaurus, 




Smith College College Hall
John M. Greene Hall
Davis Center





Capen Garden



Helen Hills Hills Chapel

Upon seeing that the Smith College Museum of Art was still open, I decided to go check it out.
















Finally, it was time to head back to my car, which thankfully had not been towed. From here, I finally reached Amherst, where I first headed to Puffer's Pond on State Street near Sand Hill Road.

The trail I took here on the southern part of the pond is shown below in pink.
The views of the pond here were pretty serene.


I happened to notice that there was a waterfall at the end of the pond, so I decided to head west out to Mill Street to check it out, and it was beautiful.
From here, I spent the rest of the daylight hours sightseeing in Amherst.
Immanuel Lutheran Church
First Baptist Church



North Congregational Church
St. Brigid Parish
Mercy House

Unitarian Universalist Society
Hope Community Church



Finally, with the daylight gone for good, it was time for dinner. I had wanted to go to Pinocchio's Ristorante in Palmer, but it was so crowded today that I was forced to go to the Villa Rose in Ludlow instead for my Groupon dinner.

This place is a decent bar restaurant, with separate rooms for the bar and the restaurant area.

As always, I decided to try the interesting stuff, going for the Flaming Chourica appetizer first. I wasn't really expecting much, but as the name suggests, the large sausage literally came on a clay boat of fire.

It was pretty impressive, especially to the other patrons in the room, and pretty good in taste as well, though a little salty as can be expected.

For my main dish, I decided to go with the Carne de Porco Á Alentejana, a traditional Portuguese dish made of marinated cubes of pork sautéed together with fresh clams and served over deep-fried potatoes. It also came with a cup of soup, for which I chose the Chicken Florentine, which was quite good as well.
Somehow, by the time my main dish came, I was already feeling a little full, and I still had to order dessert to make up my Groupon amount.
Carne de Porco Á Alentejana
In the end, I decided to pack my main dish for leftovers, while I got a slice of Turtle Cheesecake,  a fudge filled cheesecake on graham cracker crust, topped with caramel and pecans. 

Sinful, but definitely worth keeping my dinner for leftovers for the dessert.

With that, I took the long drive east back home. Tomorrow, I will be heading to the other side of the state, to Boston again to bring my friend to stay over at my place again.





No comments:

Post a Comment