Sunday, October 7, 2012

October 7th 2012: The SOWA Open Market in Boston

Today I decided to check out the SOWA Open Market in Boston. On the way, I passed by the old William H Lincoln School, the current John D Runkle School in Brookline.
I decided to park on Washington Street between Franklin Square and Blackstone Square, which are pretty much mirror images of each other.
Franklin Square
Blackstone Square

As there was still some time before the market opened, I walked around for a little to take a few pictures of the buildings in the South End, including part of the Boston Medical Center.
Old Church of Immaculate Conception,
775 Harrison Avenue
Worcester Square,
between Washington Street and Harrison Avenue



Allen House,
1682 Washington Street

Moakley Building at BMC
Menino Pavilion at BMC


I finally headed to the market, where the food trucks were just starting to set up. I headed over to 460 Harrison Avenue, where the rest of the stalls are.
SOWA Open Market Food Truck area
Grillo's Pickles
Bon Me, the Dining Car, Boston Super Dog





Kickass Cupcakes and The Taco Truck



SOWA Vintage Market
Right beside the market area was an interesting tower-like building, which turned out to be part of the Pine Street Inn.
Finally, it was time to go back to the food truck area for food, where I met my chef friend who was also there to check out the food. At The Dining Car, I got the Crispy Cauliflower, served with curry aioli, which was really tasty.
The Dining Car
Chicken and Rice Guys

Crispy Cauliflower
Next, Bon Me with their Noodle Bowl, for which I got the Rice Noodles with Spicy Peanut Sauce and and Miso Braised Pulled Pork, which was excellent as well.
Bon Me
Rice Noodles with Spicy Peanut Sauce
and  Miso Braised Pulled Pork


My friend got the Smoked Pork and Chicken Tacos from BBQ Smith, which were okay in my opinion but good to him.
BBQ Smith
Smoked Pork and Chicken Tacos






From Roxy's Grilled Cheese, which had a long line and I had to wait 12 minutes for my order, I got the Fall Melt, with VT cheddar, sweet potato, cinnamon apples and raisins, and a rosemary maple dipping sauce.
Roxy's Grilled Cheese
The Fall Melt










This time, my friend wondered why I did not get a regular grilled cheese just like everybody else, as the sandwich tasted a little weird to him, although I enjoyed it.

From the Taco Truck, my friend got the Pollo Asado Torta, with guajillo marinated grilled chicken. It was nothing like the one I had in Worcester at Sol of Mexico, and both my friend and I agreed that the torta wasn't that great.

I was still not done yet, so I decided to try the Lamb Chilli from the Dining Car. This dish is made from lamb simmered with smoky ancho chiles, garlic tomatoes, and dark beer, served with a side of jalapeno corn pudding, which was pretty much cornbread. Once again, another good dish from the Dining Car.

At this, point, we decided to call it quits to eating for the moment, deciding to head to the Boston Local Food Festival on the Rose Kennedy Greenway next.

Boston from Surface Road
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
at Tufts University

There were a lot of people at the festival, and we were already very full from the SOWA Market, so we just walked around a little to see what was going on, including a meat cutting demonstration.






Fresh Seafood
Meatcutting Demonstration

The food truck Frozen Hoagies was also here, although we were to full to get any hoagies from it.
From here, we headed all the way back to the SOWA Market where my car was, passing by a few buildings along the way.
Liberty Square,
Batterymarch Street and Liberty Square
Boston Opera House

Back at the market, we decided to get one last dessert, getting the Triple Chocolate and Californian Tart yogurts from the Froyo Truck.
The Froyo Truck
Triple Chocolate and Californian Tart Yogurt


I don't know why, but I liked the sweetness of the chocolate yogurt, while the Tart one did not really suit my fancy after I had tasted the chocolate one.

Back at my car, we headed to Cambridge next, where my friend's goal was to look for some beer at the Harvard Square Oktoberfest. Most of the roads into Harvard Square were blocked off, so I had to park far down Mount Auburn Street, past Longfellow Park at the Longfellow House.
Longfellow Park
The festival itself of a cacophony of sound, from rock bands to trumpet playing troupes, and even
Pink Trumpet Players

At the Harvard Square Oktoberfest
Rock Band Performance

I really enjoyed the performance by Wacky Chad the most, who was really funny with his jokes, timed with appropriate music, dance moves, as well as amazing stunts on a pogo stick and unicycle.

Pictures of his various tricks follow, including getting a kid to sit on his shoulders while riding a tiny bicycle.
Crazy Dance Moves
Balancing a basketball



















On the Pogo stick


The Back Flip
Kid trying to ride the tiny bike in vain
Handing the bike to the kid
Riding around



Climbing the unicycle















After the performance, we decided to call it a day and head to dinner at the Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub, where I had a Groupon to use. This place is more for band performances than for food, as we were soon to find out. We decided to get the Baba Ghanooj (Smoked eggplant blended with sesame puree, spices, and lemon juice) and the Lamb Shank Cous Cous, which were both just barely edible. Definitely not coming back here for food again.
Restaurant decor

Baba Ghanooj
Lamb Cous Cous











With that, my friend had to leave early, so I decided to head home as well, as I had another long drive to New Hampshire for ziplining tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Allan,
    My company built the Boston Medical Center back in the day and we like the photo you have posted. Would you be interested in licensing usage rights to us? You can contact me at mzotos@dimeo.com
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete