Thursday, January 22, 2015

January 22nd 2015: Dinner at the Haven, Boston

Today after work, I headed into Boston for a meetup dinner at The Haven, a Scottish bar restaurant in the Jamaica Plain area. Before that, I decided to check out Alex's Chimis, a typical Caribbean cafeteria nearby. There were lots of people lining up in this small place for food this time of day, and I decided to just go with the Chimi de Pierna (roast Pork shoulder sandwich).

Not bad actually, for a cheap price too, even with the onions I detest,  and I finished it all before my next meal. The bar itself was pretty quaint looking in itself, definitely looking pretty Scottish.
For appetizers, we got the Vegetable Bridies (cotswold cheddar cheese, seasonal vegetables, potato),
the Haggis and Neeps (housemade lamb haggis, truffle honey mashed rutubaga, drambuie butter),
the Scotch Devilled Egg (crispy sausage wrapped hard boiled egg, deviled yolk, arugula salad),
and I got the Cullen Skink Soup (Traditional Scottish soup with cream, leeks, potatoes and smoked haddock) as well.
the bridies weren't too bad, and the devil egg was pretty interesting too. The soup was tasted pretty good, mainly because of the smoked fish in it. Unfortunately, the haggis was totally disgusting, tasting like liver, with the stomach skin being so tough and chewy.

For food, my friends got the The Haven Burger (grilled 8oz beef chuck, huntsman cheese, our bacon onion marmalade, house pickle sauce, lettuce, farm tomato, chips), the Herb Roasted Giannone Chicken (crisped rumbledethump cake, watercress, sweet onion jus), 

the White Pudding Sassitch and Mash (Housemade chicken sausage with braised kale, roasted parsnip, herbed mash, roasted chicken jus)
and the Barley Risotto (seared king oyster mushrooms, apple and watercress salad).
I got to try the chicken, which was okay, while the sausage was absolutely delicious, melting into the mash as I ate it. The risotto was a little weird at first until I realized it was barley, and the mushrooms were cut so much like scallops that I almost though they were until I ate them myself. Pretty good I should say.

We got the Deep Fried Mars Bar (with maple whipped cream) for dessert after it all.
I have to say it was way overhyped and nothing special.

Overall, a pretty interesting meal. I might come back again, who knows.















No comments:

Post a Comment