Thursday, January 1, 2015

January 1st 2015: Starting the New Year in Seekonk, Rehoboth and Taunton

I started out today in Seekonk at the Seacunke Sanctuary at the end of Garden Street. The rough path I took while here to see Central Pond in Rhode Island is shown below in pink.
There are so many side trails here, so I decided to just stay as close to the water as possible, and pictures I took of Central Pond follow.
From here, I headed to the Town Hall area,
Memorials, 100 Peck Street
Fireman, 500 Taunton Avenue
going for a hike on the Runnins River Trail. I initially thought I could get to it from the Town Hall Trail, located behind the town hall, but I could not find my way, going in circles instead. I found the trail instead behind the Fire Department, and walked it to the end at the Runnins River. Nothing to see here though.
After getting back to my car, I visited a few more places in town
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church
Seekonk Human Services
Old Grist Mill Pond, 895 Arcade Avenue
Burr's Pond
Seekonk Congregational Church
Grace Community Chapel
George R Martin Elementary School
Seekonk Speedway
New Destiny Christian Assembly
FantasyLand Miniature Golf
Seekonk Grand Prix
before heading for breakfast at Alex's Family Restaurant at 1520 Fall River Avenue, a small town diner which thankfully was open for business today.

I went with the Corned Beef Hash Omelette,
which was pretty good considering I was really hungry by now.

Finally done with Seekonk, I headed into Rehoboth, visiting several places
Shad Factory Pond, 46 Reed Street
Christian Life Church
Warren Upper Reservoir,
148 Reservoir Avenue
Rehoboth Baptist Church
Blanding Public Library
Bad Luck Brook, 133 Bay State Road
Rehoboth Congregational Church
Canon, 87 Bay State Road
Community Covenant Church
Old Church, 130 Tremont Street
before heading into Taunton.
350 Myles Standish Boulevard
North Taunton Baptist Church
Northwoods Medical Center,
2005 Bay Street
Watson Pond State Park
436 Whittenton Street
St. Jude Church, 249 Whittenton Street
St. John's Episcopal Church,
370 Bay Street
Whittenton Fire Station
Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Church
Reed and Barton Complex
Union Congregational Church
Willis Pond, 112 Willis Pond Road
Westville Congregational Church
Silver City Baptist Church
Lake Sabbatia
At this point, I decided to go get some lunch from Yamato Japanese Steakhouse in town.
With my deal, I went with the Squid Balls (Deep Fried Squid Balls with Teriyaki Sauce),
the Ika Mara Yaki (Toasted Squid with Chef's Special sauce),
the First Day Roll (coconut shrimp, lobster salad, mango, avocado inside topped with rice ball, cilantro, mango and coconut sauce), the Oyster Roll (Oyster Tempura, jalapeno, tomato, cucumber, scallion, served with spicy mayo) and the Godzilla Roll (eel, shrimp, crabmeat, salmon and fluke, deep fried with spicy sauce).
The squid balls weren't too bad, as was the toasted squid, although the First Day Roll tasted a little weird with all its ingredients. The Godzilla Roll was just alright, as was the Oyster Roll.

I don't know whether it was because I had a filling breakfast, but I could hardly eat any of the sushi and had to pack them to go in the end. Overall, nothing really great about this place.

At this point, I had to go meet my friends in Boston to watch "The Gambler" at the AMC Loews Boston Common 19.

I did not think the movie was that good though.

Dinner was at Bubor Cha Cha in Chinatown. This time, we got the Jelly Fish,
the Peapod Stems with Oyster Mushrooms,
the Beef and Shirataki Noodles in Satay Sauce in Casserole
and the Jumbo Shrimp with Walnuts in Mayonnaise Sauce.
Delicious meal, especially the shirataki noodles with the sauce.

With that, after sending my friends home from dinner, my first day of 2015 was done. More adventures to come in the days ahead, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment