Friday, January 2, 2015

January 2nd 2015: The Enchanted Village and Dinner in a Castle

I started out today in Hingham, going on a long hike at the Bare Cove Park. The path I took here is shown below in pink.
Pictures I took of the Weymouth Back River while walking around follow.
By the end of my hike, I was getting a little hungry, so I went to Weymouth to get some food from the Pleasant Street Deli and Grille at 451 Pleasant Street, located within a convenience store. I got the Italian Sub
and the BBQ Chicken Wings.
the sandwich wasn't too bad, but the wings were really soggy and not crispy at all. EWW...

From here, I headed into the town of Abington to start my sightseeing there.
War Memorial,
Gliniewicz Way and Lincoln Boulevard
Town Hall, 500 Gliniewicz Way
Public Library
American Legion Lewis Dorsey Post 112,
1027 Washington Street
Beaver Brook Elementary School
First Baptist Church
New England Art Store
Old Building,
Highland Street and Adams Street
North Abington Depot
St. Bridget Church
United Church of Christ
Joy in Christ Lutheran Church
Cushing Pond,
261 Chestnut Street

Island Grove Park was a pretty nice place to visit in town.
At this point, I decided to head to Avon to check out the Enchanted Village at the Jordan's Furniture in town, which is open for a short time this time of year.

There was a long line just to see the animated exhibits,

which caused me to have to wait 2 hours to see the MOM Ride. Thankfully, I was able to use this time to check out Enchanted Ice, the skating rink here,
the interesting decor,


walk around the store itself,
buy their famous blueberry muffin,
and watch the LITE show, a one of a kind laser light movie experience which was actually more awesome than the ride itself,
which was a less than realistic roller coaster ride with occasional sprays of water.

After finally leaving the place, I headed back into Abington to check out the Dyer Memorial Library, a museum about the history of Abington.
I then passed through Brockton,
Flagg Pond, End of Memorial Drive
on the way up to Somerville, where I decided to eat at Mount Vernon Restaurant and Pub.
 I got the Lobster Bisque (made with cream, sherry, brandy),
the Artichoke Stuffed Rigatoni (rigatoni stuffed with artichoke hearts,spinach, ricotta and feta chesse, served with diced tomatoes and spinach in a white wine garlic butter sauce)
and the Scallops Baked En Casserole (sea scallops with light bread crumb topping).
Not too bad, but nothing extraordinary.

Next, I went to pick my friend up to go have dinner at Smith and Wollensky's, located within a castle in the Back Bay area of Boston.
The decor inside was pretty fancy,
so I had hope for the food as well, but it was not to be.

The Beef Bacon was way too salty,
while the Seared Scallops (foraged mushrooms, gruyere, Pernod) simply did not create any excitement inside my mouth.
Even the sauce for the Filet Rossini (10 oz. filet mignon with seared foie gras and madeira demi glace) did not meet my expectations.
Thankfully, the Banana Chocolate Cake Split (with Neapolitan Ice Cream, macerated berries, pineapple and caramel sauce)
and the Chocolate Hazelnut Creme Brulee (milk chocolate custard topped with crisp layer of nutella dark chocolate hazelnut bark)
were pretty good.

Overall though, a fancy place with terrible food. Not coming back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment