Thursday, January 15, 2015

January 15th 2015: Wine Tasting with a Friend at Dave's Fresh Pasta, Somerville

Today after work, my friend invited me to go to a wine tasting event,  held at Dave's Fresh Pasta in Somerville. Before that, I decided to get some Sri Lankan food from Curry N Wok nearby in Cambridge.

I have not had much Sri Lankan food before, so I went with the Attukal Soup (medium spicy goat leg simmered with Peppercorn and coriander) for soup

And the Puttu (Coarsely ground rice, grated coconut and water, steamed in a bamboo putt mould).

The soup was pretty good, although at times I had to convince myself that it wasn't watered down Curry. When the Puttu arrived, I initially thought they had got my order wrong,  as it looked like they had given me rice instead, but on closer examination, the "rice" was actually little puff balls. Pretty good with all the different sauces.

For dessert, I decided to get the Watallapam (creme pudding of Malaysia origin made of coconut milk, brown palm sugar, cashew nuts, egg, cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon).
Pretty good too. I have also just realized that I actually came to this place almost a year ago, but the menu has somewhat changed.

From here, I headed into Somerville, and I reached the specialty grocery shop just in time for the wine tasting, with my friend arriving soon after.

We tasted 5 different types of wine,

with food being served between each tasting, which I had not expected, and the food was actually pretty good as well.
French Onion Soup
Mushroom Tart
Steak Frites
Delicious food, with good company. The wine was not to my liking though, but that's more because I'm not a wine person myself. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment